Monday, May 2, 2016

new studio



I had to move studios all of a sudden in March.  My landlord was in danger of losing his property and told me I should go.  That was a tough one.  I was beginning to settle into the old space.  I loved the light, the lizards and the little back room became a wonderful small painting space.  But it had it's drawbacks too.  It was on Grant and I hated the traffic, it was loud and there was a lot of foot traffic going to the quicky mart.  It's good to be in a new space.  The studio is a more painterly one.  There's light from a very large skylight.  It's beautifully even and comfortable to be in.  The space is physically cooler than the Grant space, the ceilings are higher and thereby creates less feeling of confinement.  I read an essay on art studios once and the author suggested that a higher ceilings create a greater sense of loft.  Thoughts are free to roam in an open space.  I like this, but am aware of my own predilections for Classical thinking and those higher loftier spheres.  I think there's something to be gained from more contained spaces too, almost as if contemporary life happens there.  In some ways I miss the old space, maybe I just miss the settled and safe feeling I have while making things in it.  I don't have that sense yet in the new space.
 

No comments: