Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Gouache


A friend had suggested making small daily paintings as a way to keep working in strange times. I love the fast and bold color characteristics of gouache. It's not like watercolor which depends on the luminosity of the page to keep the pigments rich. It's opaque and stands on its own. I was able to make 25 of these studies. I was thinking about the modulation of color as well as the density of the paint. One of the beautiful aspects of gouache is their chalky opacity. I enjoy when the paint begins to build up and cake. It's a similar experience as looking at a person who uses too much makeup to cover over blemishes or imperfections and you can see the caking of pigment over skin. I like that moment of insecurity. It feels common and known, but not talked about or addressed. 

My goal was to let these quick paintings inform the lager oil paintings. I have a tendency to overpaint surfaces, too much of a love for Ryder and not enough respect for the northern Flemish painters. In my mind there's a tension between density and luminosity. One where I struggle to find balance. 

No comments: